Workshop Date and TimeRegister Now
Friday, June 16, 2023, 1:30 – 2:30 pm, Eastern Time
Registrants can listen in live over the phone or online as a webcast.
- Overview of Cancer & the LGBTQI+ Community, including HIV & HPV
- The LGBTQI+ Community’s Disproportionate Cancer Burden
- Addressing the LGBTQI+ Health Disparities Gap, including Mistrust of Health Care Providers
- Barriers to Health Care Access, including Discrimination
- Health Care, Cancer Screening, Palliative & Supportive Care, Affordable Housing
- Gay Men & Lesbian Cancer Issues
- Transgender/Gender-Nonconforming People’s Cancer Concerns
- Challenges for LGBTQI+ Caregivers
- Social Security Disability Benefits for LGBTQI+ People Living with Cancer
- Military Service and the LGBTQI+ Community
- Practical, Financial, Emotional & Social Concerns
- Cancer Resources for the LGBTQI+ Community
- Questions for Our Panel of Experts
Our Panel of Experts
Mandi L. Pratt-Chapman, MA, PhD, Hon-OPN-CG
Associate Professor, Department of Medicine, School of Medicine & Health Sciences Associate Professor, Department of Prevention & Community Health, Milken Institute School of Public Health Associate Director, Community Outreach & Engagement, GW Cancer Center
Stewart B. Fleishman, MD
Former Founding Director, Cancer Support Services, Continuum Cancer Centers of New York, now part of the Mt. Sinai Health System, Author, Researcher in Oncology
Gary L. Stein, JD, MSW
Professor, Director, Gerontology & Palliative Care, Director, Continuing Education, Wurzweiler School of Social Work, Yeshiva University
Richard Dickens, MS, FAOSW
Clinical Oncology Social Worker, Former Director of Advocacy, CancerCare, Researcher and Author in Psychosocial Oncology, Meditation & LGBTQI+
NFN Scout, MA, PhD
Executive Director, National LGBT Cancer Network; VP of Social Justice, The Torvus Group
Carolyn Messner, DSW, BCD, FAPOS, FAOSW
Senior Director of Education and Training, CancerCare
Continuing Education Credits
Social Workers: This program has been submitted to the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, an approved provider through the Texas State Board of Social Work Examiners, provider #CS4607, for 1.0 Contact Hour.
CancerCare, Inc. is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0088. This workshop is approved for 1.0 Contact Hour.
Registered Dietitians: This program has been submitted to the Commission on Dietetic Registration for one Continuing Professional Education Unit (CPEU).
To request continuing education paperwork, please email your name, profession, and address to email@example.com after the program. All paperwork for continuing education credit must be requested, completed, and submitted within two weeks of the live program.
You can download the brochure for this workshop